Friday, June 25, 2010

Letter to my kindergarten teacher

Dear Mrs. R,

I just wanted to let you know that I turned out alright. You'll be glad to know that I am now married to a wonderful man, and we have two beautiful boys. Yes, I got married at only 18, but we waited until we were 22 to have our first son. We bought our first home at 21, but we have moved around a lot and seen a lot of places. You probably knew that would happen since I moved so much with my Dad.

I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to help in your class when I was in high school. I fell in love with those 5 year olds, and I learned that I could be responsible. But more important to me were the talks we had, and the friendship and wisdom you offered me.

When I met my mother, and she tried to keep me in Los Angeles, you used your credit card to get me a plane ticket home. You didn't have to do that, but if you hadn't, I don't know what would have happened.

When I called you for help one day, months later, after we had lost touch for awhile, and you said "no," you saved my life. You knew something was wrong and you were right to turn me away. I was upset at the time, but now I am thankful.

You don't know what a powerful influence you have been in my life. I don't know where you are now, but if I ever find you, I will try to thank you in person. For now, I just wish you had the satisfaction of knowing that I am okay! I'm not in jail, or living on the street. I go to church, and I have a family, and I am even enrolling in college. Be proud. You helped give me the foundation that I needed when it was time to get out of trouble and into real life.

Thanks for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment