Thursday, May 6, 2010

I am so impressed with myself...

Wow, I just blogged the other day and here I go again! LOL

I just had to get stuff off my chest again. I guess this is a vent blog...sorry!
I'm just so bummed out right now about everything going on.

First, the Nashville flooding. It's really depressing seeing the images. It's also sad that it's not gaining more national attention... I so wish I could go up there and DO something. Not that I can, having a piece-o-junk vehicle and a month old baby...but I would if I could! I have friends that have been greatly affected by the flooding, and some that have narrowly escaped the devastation. Again, the photos and videos are just heartbreaking. I lived in Nashville longer than I have lived anywhere in my whole life! 5 yrs, yeah, big whoop to some people, but for me, that's a lot. I don't want to talk about it anymore. It's very depressing.

Then, the huge oil spill. Ugh! So sad. It's not as close to the Florida coastline as I thought, so that's good. But really, I don't care about how it affects ME. Although it would suck if we weren't able to go to the beach, but that would be a long way off. But this is our OCEAN! Our oceans have such a huge impact on our environment, it's just not something that should be totally screwed up. Auuughhh!!! I'm so frustrated that they can't even stop the leak yet. It's just oooooozing all over the ocean permanently messing with a precious ecosystem.

It bothers me.

You know what else bothers me? When people question you about your personal parenting choices. Why do other people care what I do? I understand people are curious, and that we are not the most conventional, and that sometimes, we are borderline hippie. But I like it! lol

We co-sleep. Yes, the baby sleeps right in the bed with us. We don't own a crib. Same with Nate, and he had no problems going in his own bed at 10 months old, and in his own room at 14ish months.
I breastfeed, and I plan to do so past the 1 year mark.
We cloth diaper. I should say I cloth diaper, because I do most of the diaper changing. lol
I "wear" my baby whenever and wearever possible. I wish I could more.
We don't "cry it out." Ever. Didn't with Nate either, and he is NOT spoiled. Not one bit.
I had a drug free birth because I WANTED to. I realize "God gave us epidurals" or whatever, but drug free was way better and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. At home, if possible.
I also plan to make my own baby food when the time comes.
I buy organic as much as possible when I can afford to. It drives me crazy that the nearest Whole Foods is almost 30 miles away.
We are sticklers about what our kids eat (and most of all, DON'T eat), carseats, manners, and if/when necessary, schedules.
I rarely wear makeup and I don't care. :)
I wear ugly sandals all the time that are borderline Birkenstocks, because they are Dr. Scholl's and they don't hurt my feet.

Am I a crunchy granola hippie? Maybe. I don't care though. LOL And, I really don't care what you do either!

So there.

3 comments:

  1. You know what Hannah, girl? You are wonderful. I'm glad you're blogging, but it makes me miss you even more.

    I'm starting to believe that Satan has taken control of oil. Oil is the cause of war, political upheaval, the corruption of governments, poverty, devastation, and environmental calamities more than any other substance I can think of. We need to get off this stuff. Yesterday.

    And I don't know how anyone can question your parenting skills if they've spent more than two minutes with your boys. You are not just a mother, you're THEIR mother. God gave these spirits to you because He knows you and He knows your children. How could anyone truly be qualified to question such wonderful parents? Shoot, I'm not a mom yet, but I'm guessing the rule applies to this as well: if it's working, why mess with it?!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pro everything you said there! My bff did a home birth it is was so great for her. You are not alone in your hippy beliefs! :)
    Hope things are going well for you! Ben and I are moving out of the slc ward in a couple of weeks to west valley. oh yeah. Can believe i was there 3 yrs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should do what you feel is best for you and your family! I think you're great! =) And home births ARE great if that is what YOU want! I loved having Justin at home! I would do it again...if I had more children ;)

    ReplyDelete